Why ‘Fear the Dunya’?
TITLE: Fear the Dunya (Br. Hassan As-Somali)
Click HERE for more lectures by this brother
LECTURE NOTES (courtesy of Sr. Tazkiya) ~ read along!
Why “Fear” the Life of this World?
Dunya: (the life of) this world; a test from Allah; deceiving enjoyment; temporary abode
Know that the life of this world (dunya) is only play and amusement, pomp and mutual boasting among you, and rivalry in respect of wealth and children… the life of this world is only a deceiving enjoyment. (Al-Hadid 57:20)
Verily, the Promise of Allâh is true, let not then this (worldly) present life deceive you, nor let the chief deceiver (Satan) deceive you about Allâh. (Luqman 31:33)
Advice for People of Understanding:
- Don’t let this Dunya fool you!
- Don’t ldon’ let the devil fool you of your Lord. As the shaytaan strives day and night to make you forget the reality of the world you areliving.
- The Prophet s.a.w. said the Hell fire is surrounded by your desires, surrounded by women, surrounded by your wealth, and surrounded by pride. And paradise is surrounded by undesirable things.(Wa Hujiba jannah bi makaari)
- Know Oh Mumin! Don’t let this world fool you—The Prophet s.a.w. said Adunya—this world is cursed. Except for the remembrance of Allah, and that which resemblance it; the scholars or the one who is learned.
- (Zuyani li nisa hubba shawaha….) Allah Subhana wa tala is “Beautified for men are that which they desire from women, and that which they desire from children, from gold, from beautiful animals, and from wealth. This is the enjoyment of this world which will end and what Allah Subhana Wa Tala has the best abode. And Say, O Muhammed s.a.w, Shall I not inform you of that which is better, that which is better then all of worldly things; For those who fear their Lord: Gardens which rivers flow, and Purified mates, and the pleasure of the Allah Subhana Wa Tala.
- (Dead lamb) The Prophet s.a.w. was walking with his companions when they saw a dead carcass, and he s.a.w. said would any of you love this? Even if it was alive it would something praiseworthy. They replied. He s.a.w. said wallahi this world is more worthless than this dead carcass.
- This world is deceiving; it plays games with the minds of mankind.This dunya will deceive in making you think it will last forever
- (Wa mal haytun dunya –this world is deceiving )
- The Prophet s.a.w. said “This world is a prison for the believer and a Jannah for the disbeliever”. The disbeliever is not held back from anything and the believer fears His Lord and fears the consequence. The believer is restricted by the Qu’ran and Sunnah. The disbeliever acts like an animal and does as he wishes.
THREE THINGS REMAIN AFTER DEATH
Prophet s.a.w. gave an isharah (direction) for the wise—(Al -Halim) the one who understands. 2 things will return. Your wives and your wealth. Your actions will only remain.
1.) Umar r.a. said “bring yourself to account before your brought to account. Weigh your deeds before your deeds are weighed.”
2.) Bring yourself account—because its dangerous.
3.) The Prophet s.a.w. said “Verily this world is green and sweet and Allah placed you in this earth generation after generation, why? So that Allah will seeshow you act, how you behave”
Are you worthy of the Paradise described in His book? Or are you fuel for theFfire of Hell?
- Think of your deeds from today and last night—for our time is near.
- The Prophet s.a.w. fear this dunya! This dunya that is deceitful
- And we will ask when we die ask of Allah to “bring us back to this dunya—so that we may give sadaqah and be from the righteous”, but the answer will be no.
- Oh believer know that this issue serious, the duty is not paid and we are not understanding as we are suppose to –we are being fooled and we have let the devil deceit us and we chase after women, wealth ,pride, and our reputation etc. because this dunya is winning.
ALL FITNAH COMES FROM TWO THINGS
1.) Following your desires (Ma3siyah—zina—because you love this world!)
2.) And following doubt which is innovations. i.e ( The belief of the last day not established in your heart…Are you doubtful of that day, Are you doubtful you will meet your Lord, Are you doubtful that you’ll sit in your grave?) If you say you don’t doubt then….where are your actions?
3.) Where are your actions? Because this life we live in is the life of actions. When we die and we are resurrected it is too late. If you did good you will be rewarded and if you did evil you will be rewarded with it.
4.) Some of the Salaaf they say; When some people become established or in a profitable state they become attached to this world and they begun to sin and their Iman will decrease their faith, because Iman with Ahlul Sunnah is what? Iman with Ahlul increases with obedience of Ar-Rahman and decreases with the obedience of Shaytaan (sinning)
5.) Ibn Al-Qayyim (rahimuallah) said some of the Salaaf said “Sinning leads to disbelief of Allah. ==Could lead to road of Kufr . Likewise : The kiss leads to intercourse, music leads to fornication, the look leads to love, and sickness leads to death! Pay Attention Ya Ayuhal Ikhwah! Pay attention the matter of this Dunya!
6.) Allah subhana Wa Tala has revealed many Ayah concerning this dunya and of what happened to the people who have fallen in the trap of the dunya.
- People of ‘Aad: Disobedience of Allah and love of this world
People of Thamud: Disobedience of Allah and love of this world
People of Lut: Disobedience of Allah and love of this world.
Love of the Dunya -> Disobedience of Allah!
Examples of people who fell for the Dunya!
When the Prophet s.a.w. saw was shown the hell-fire—in a Hadeeth (Mutafathun) He s.a.w. said I saw amazing things this night
1st man: He saw s.a.w. said he saw a man having his head being crushed by a stone. He s.a.w. explained Verily, this man memorized the Qur’an, studied the Qur’an , but didn’t act upon. And he sleeps through the prayer. His head is being crushed again an again.
2nd man: He s.a.w. said concerning the second man: His eyes, his mouth, his teeth are torn apart from the front to the back. This man: He leaves his house, he lies, until his lies spread all over the world!
Do you want this punishment, O Mu’min?
3rd : Naked men and women in a pit, crying with tears of blood and screaming, stove being burned: They are the adulterers, the fornicators!
4th As the other man, swimming and being forced to swallow stones==Riba consumed Ribba in the dunya!
Using interest? Prepare yourself for the punishment>
~We love this dunya! We expose our sins! We love what we do! We openly expose our sins! ~ The Prophet s.a.w. said all of my Ummah will be forgiven except to those who openly expose their sins! Why? Love of this world removes shame from the heart.
Abdullahi Ibn Mus’ood said in Sahih Bukhari: If the believer commits a sin, when he sins he believes its as he is sitting under a mountain and the mountain is about to fall and crush the believer. That’s the believer. As the evil person, if he sins, he sees it as a fly passing his nose. Because he loves this world.
Everytime you sin, a black dot is formed on your heart. Allah says in his Qur’an : “Verily a covering has formed on their hearts concerning what they have done.”
The Prophet s.a.w. “if the slave sins a black dot is formed on his heart, but if he repents, leaves the sinning, and seek forgiveness from Allah then Allah will forgive him. But if he continues to sin and the black dot will grow till it covers all of his heart. Till the blackness covers all of us heart==This the covering Allah speaks in the Qur’an.
Has the covering started?
Allah subhana says “A Day all of you will meet, a Day the best of you will not escape, a Day neither wealth nor children will avail, except the one who comes with a cleansed heart”
What’s a cleansed heart?
Ibnul Qayyim (rahimiuallah) mentioned that a heart will not be clean unless its free from these five things:
- Following ones whims
- Following ones desires which contradictory of sincerity
- Following ones passions
Our hearts are dying before our eyes, slowly but surely our hearts are asking for help!
One of the Salaaf use to say “Sinning will cause your heart to die, by you being addicted to sinning, you will be humiliated and abandoning sinning will give life to the heart and its better for your nafs==by abandoning and forsaking anything to do with disobeying Allah!
Loving the Dunya will affect every aspect of your life. Loving this dunya will cause your destruction; will appear in you and affect your dealings with your husband to your wife, to the animals which you keep.
One of the Salaaf use to say “Verily, I use to disobey Allah, and I use to know this and see this in my wife. It use to appear in her and in my writing”.
The real discord and problems in the marriage occurs with the individuals sinning. The blackness is there, you expect happiness while sinning? How can one expect tranquility while sinning?
Allah says “Whoever turns away from my remembrance turns away from my commandments, he will live a life of misery”
If you want happiness, Jannah, and mercy of Allah, then forsake the love of this dunya and in sinning!
Seek forgiveness from Allah.
Following the example of the Prophet s.a.w.
The Prophet s.a.w. said “And by Allah, I seek forgiveness from Allah 70 times a day”